Friday, June 15, 2018

Reading Adventures Part 2

It's halfway through the year and how am I going with my reading challenge?

I speak of the popsugar reading challenge 2018!

I seem to have read 30 books, most of them fit a prompt from the reading list.


They are a mix of books I already had, books that caught my eye at the library and books that I have bought for Kindle.

Some prompts are and will be a struggle as they are outside my genre comfort zone.
But that is one of the advantages of a challenge, or a book club to get you reading things you wouldn't normally read.

Of the books I have read so far this year these are the ones that I have enjoyed the most or that have made an impression of some sort.

-The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
  I have only recently discovered Helen Garner and wow! I just love her writing. Seems so effortless, but draws you in.

- The Eye of the Sheep by Sophie Laguna.
   Another female aussie writer - is there a pattern here?
   She has the great knack of finding the characters voices and they are convincing. The subjects aren't always easy but they get to you!

- Walking on Glass by Ian Banks.
   The reviews of this book were mixed but on the poor side! But I found another author I'd like to   read more of.

 - The Shepherds Hut by Tim Winton.
    It's Tim Winton.

- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders.
  What a weird, wonderful ride. Won the Man Booker prize but that often means I have a different     opinion!
 
I really don't know why I read The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware after reading The Woman in the Window by A J Finn as they are obviously tarred with the same brush. My excuse is that it fitted on of the prompts.
It also reinforced my notion that I don't much enjoy pop fiction.

I hated Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. (A book with characters who are twins).
Just cod awful!

Struggled through The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante.
Couldn't finish Monsoon by Di Morrisey (A book by a local author). Terrible.

More good reads -
A long Way Home by Saroo Brierley.
The Dressmaker by Rosalie Hamm.
Everything I never Told You by Celeste Ng.
Montebello by Robert Drewe.

What have you been reading?
Do you share any of my reads?
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment